Provide data in EDM
To be included in Europeana, data has to be in a specific format - the Europeana Data Model (EDM). It is the format used in the aggregation processes and published in the portal and other Europeana data services.
Most of you hold data in a local or standard metadata format in your own systems. Your data will need to be mapped, transformed and exported from your system. The processes for doing this will vary according to the systems you have available and you need to establish the best means of doing this for your situation. There are several possible routes.
- Mapping and transforming your data from its native format directly to EDM for us to harvest. (You may be able to use an existing crosswalk.)
- Mapping your data from its native metadata format to a standard intermediary schema (such as MARC21, EAD, LIDO, CARARE), and transforming your data to this format before finally mapping the resulting data to EDM using a tool such as MINT
- Establishing an export format from your system in a standard metadata schema (such as MARC21, Dublin Core EAD, LIDO, CARARE) and mapping this to EDM using a tool such as MINT
- Establishing an EDM export format directly from your system (if you use EDM or if it has the technical capacity) and making the output available for us to harvest
- Providing your metadata in ESE and allowing Europeana to convert it to EDM. This option is discussed further on the ESE pages.